Sunday, August 30, 2015

Movie #12: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Or really, she's still my favorite :)


Title: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Directed by: William Cottrell and David Hand, et al
Starring: Adriana Caselotti
Year: 1937
Number on the AFI List: 34

This is the first movie on the list I've already seen! I've always loved Snow White. I watched it over and over again as a child. I absolutely love the Dwarfs. They are the funniest side kicks, and yet so sympathetic and charming. There are so many funny moments in this movie-the turtle who can never keep up and is always five minutes too late, the little bird who can't sing, everything Dopey does (in particular, inhaling the soap and getting soap hiccups)...the list can go on and on. Beyond the humor, I find Snow White herself to be a great example of love and forgiveness even when life is uncertain. She is a bit naive, but she only wants what is best for those around her and has a heart of gold. The queen is terrifying-her collection of skulls and skeletons, books of witchcraft, crow sidekicks, and the most obvious, her obsessions with Snow White death...she is quite the crazy one! I will say, though, her peacock throne is LEGIT. 


This movie has beautiful animation for a time where technology wasn't too advanced and everything was drawn by hand. The beauty of perspective technique and the scene changes astound me. One of the coolest moments of animation is when the queen turns into the old hag: 

 


Overall, this movie is spectacular all around- story telling, comedy, animation...it will always be my favorite.

Favorite moment: SO hard to choose! Probably the dancing scene. I always would fast forward to it as a child:


Will I watch it again: Absolutely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment