Sunday, August 2, 2015

Movie #7: Duck Soup. Or really, don't be a fickle politician!

Title: Duck Soup
Director: Leo McCarey 
Starring: The Marx Brothers
Number on the AFI List: 60
Year: 1933 

To be brutally honest, I didn't like this movie. Maybe it's because I've watched a few Charlie Chaplin films now, so the Marx Brother's comedy seemed forced. Maybe its because the movie literally had no soundtrack, unlike the silent films I've watched (even though there were a few random musical numbers). Maybe its because I could tell Groucho's "mustache" was painted on his face. Whatever the real reason, something about this movie just didn't keep me entertained, but I did enjoy the puns. Puns are my favorite. I was also questioning the entire time who the fourth Marx brother was-Zeppo Marx. He apparently played the role of Bob Roland. Who was Bob Roland? That's how much this movie was lost on me. Maybe I need to watch it again. I enjoyed the little details they threw in; for example, at the end during the war, Groucho literally changed costumes to every major general in war history. That was clever. I also enjoyed the "mirror" scene:



However, most of the time I was just annoyed. Especially at Pinky. STOP CUTTING THINGS, PINKY! 

Favorite scene: The Mirror scene.
Will I watch it again: Eh. 



No comments:

Post a Comment