Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Movie #9: A Night at the Opera. Or really, the Marx brothers redeemed themselves!



Title: A Night at the Opera
Director: Sam Wood
Starring: The Marx Brothers
Number on the AFI List: 85
Year: 1935

At first I wasn't looking forward to another Marx Brothers' film, but this movie made me a Marx Bros believer. Not only did I laugh a lot, I also enjoyed the plot line of the brothers trying to get the lesser known tenor, Ricardo, to star in the opera in New York (because really, every actor can relate to that frustration). The pun's had me dying:

Groucho: "It's all right, that's in every contract. That's what they call a sanity clause."
Chico: "You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Claus!"

Harpo's antics weren't so obnoxiously overdone like in Duck Soup, and Chico was great as the dim-witted Italian manager of Ricardo. There are many unforgettable comedic moments in this film, including cramming everyone into Groucho's cabin:


and Harpo and Chico helping conduct the opera:


However, beyond comedic antics this movie had great sentimental moments between Ricardo (Allan Jones) and Rosa (Kitty Carlisle). My favorite scene of the movie has to be when the boat is about to set sail and the two lovers sing "Alone" to one another. This of course is hilariously interrupted by the entrance of the Marx Brothers, which is even funnier because it comes at the middle of a serious moment:


Will I watch it again: Yes!



No comments:

Post a Comment