Sunday, August 16, 2015

Movie #11: Swing Time! Or really, tap/ballroom dance needs to be a thing again.

Title: Swing Time
Directed by: George Stevens
Starring: Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers
Number on the AFI List: 90
Year: 1936

Is it just me, or was the plot of this movie similar like It Happened One Night? I'm sensing a formula here, Hollywood. But it worked, so I can't complain! Lucky (Astaire) and Penny (Rogers) were  phenomenal dancers and wonderfully awkward romantic leads.  Pop (Victor Moore) and Mabel (Helen Broderick) were hysterical sidekicks. And of course, "The Way You Look Tonight" is arguably the most romantic song of all time! However, among the good moments of this film, there were a few racist moments...Bojangles was a fantastic dance number, but uncomfortable to watch while Astaire was in blackface. 

Favorite Moment: "...do you like my dress?" (Fast forward to 1:30!):

Will I Watch it again: I won't rush to, but sure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment