Saturday, September 12, 2015

Movie #16: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Or really, everyone is evil except Jimmy Stewart!

Title: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 
Directed by: Frank Capra
Starring: Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur
Number on the AFI List: 26
Year: 1939 (which must have been quite the year for great movies-this is the third movie on the list released in 1939!)

I'm going to go ahead and say it-I wasn't blown away by this movie like I thought I would be. Maybe I wasn't in the mood to watch one man struggle against everyone else persecuting him. The whole thing seemed rather cynical. The movie explores the question of how does someone with pure intentions get anything done in government that is positive for the American people. The conclusion: they don't; not without a relentless fight (not too far from the truth, even today!).

However, that doesn't negate the wonderful acting done by Jimmy Stewart (*swoon!*) and Jean Arthur. Stewart, as Mr. Smith, had many wonderful monologues throughout the movie that sparked patriotism and belief in the goodness of mankind. Arthur, as Saunders, also had great monologues about how the government works, from the senate to passing a bill...a great refresher for my memory! Her character arch, spanning from annoyance of Mr. Smith to accepting and falling in love with him, was fun to watch. And I couldn't help but join in Mr. Smith's awe of Washington D.C. and being inspired by his forefathers, primarily Lincoln. 

I probably need to give this movie another shot. I can tell that this was the foreground to It's a Wonderful Life- Capra loves the use of Auld Lang Syne and stories of common man being placed in circumstances they didn't ask to be placed in and struggling with the powers that be. He also loves concluding his movies with excessive props representing either gain or loss (money in It's a Wonderful Life, paper telegrams in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington). I'm not saying it was a bad movie by any means, I just couldn't get with the story. 

Favorite moment: The greatest quote of American patriotism of all time:

Will I watch it again: I should. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment