Sunday, September 6, 2015

Movie #14: Gone with the Wind. Or really, he's just not that into you-civil war style!

Title: Gone with the Wind
Directed by: Victor Fleming
Starring: Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh
Number on the AFI List: 6
Year: 1939

Before I get snarky with my remarks, I will say that this movie is a beautiful masterpiece, thoroughly entertaining and captivating with beautiful cinematography and direction. The costumes and set design were amazing! The costumes made me almost wish we still dressed like the ladies of the late 1800s. Almost.

I was lost in the movie from the first scene, and even though the it was four hours long (not three, like I had anticipated), I was rarely bored. However, I can tell this movie was made before sequels or mini-series were a thing. I personally think the first and second acts were different enough in storyline (save for the Butler/O'Hara "romance") to split into two movies. The first act was spectacular- from the whimsy of the old south to the horrors of war, it flowed beautifully and realistically depicted the struggles of changing times. The second act, while entertaining, was a little overdone. The last hour shifted in style from romance to melodrama with so many tragedies happening one after the other to the point of it being too much drama. I was also waiting for Scarlett to have a change in heart and attitude much sooner. Her character brought the movie down with her selfish manipulation; it's hard for me to stay completely engaged in a movie when the lead is so unforgiving. Thankfully, Melanie (Olivia de Havilland) made up for Scarlett's heartlessness with her gracious, gentle demeanor, as did Mammie (Hattie McDaniel) who did a great job of constantly putting Scarlett in her place. The very end was a bit of a disappointment, but it ended as all proper tragedies should (don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it!).


Now, here's what I REALLY want to say:

Dear Scarlett,

He's just not that into you.
Also, stop marrying men just to hurt other people.

Love,
Jodi

Dear Rhett,

She's just not that into you.
Also, please stop forcefully kissing Scarlett.

Love,
Jodi



Favorite scene of the movie: I don't have a moment, but I have a line:
"You need kissing badly. Thats what's wrong with you. You should be kissed, and often, by someone who knows how."


Will I watch it again: Sure. If I ever have time again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment