Monday, October 24, 2016

Movie #47: West Side Story. Or really, just watch Romeo and Juliet.



Title: West Side Story
Starring: Natalie Wood, Richard Beymer
Directed by: Jerome Robbins, Robert Wise 
Year: 1961
Number on the AFI List: 51 (why)

Yall. I couldnt get into this movie. At all. Maybe its because Ive been spoiled on the modern day method of musical movies. I couldnt handle the break of character types into a song and dance number in full falsetto. Gangsters dont sing like that. Julietwait, no, Maria got over the fact that her brother was dead way too easily. I know he was a jerk. But have some respect and dont sleep with his killer an hour after it happened. And for the love of all that is holy, can everyone PLEASE stop over acting? Tony and Maria were boring. The gangsters at least played their stereotypes well and were a bit more entertaining to watch. Doc was touching.

The only fully redeemable character was Anita, played by Rita Moreno. She was awesome, from beginning to end. I believed her. I rooted for her. I struggled with her. She stole the show.

I wish I had more to say. The dancing and singing were both great, I cant deny that. I just couldnt handle the concept.

Ok. Back to listening to Hamilton.



Favorite moment: every time Anita was on screen.


Will I watch it again: only if I absolutely have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment