Monday, November 16, 2015

Movie #24: Double Indemnity. Or really, double crossing at its finest.

Title: Double Indemnity
Starring: Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson
Directed by: Billy Wilder
Number on the AFI list: 29
Year: 1944

I gotta say, Neff. You kinda set yourself up for this one. I mean, way to fall in love with a married woman just after meeting her (while she was in a towel, no less) and giving her every ounce of trust you have. That's always a smart move, especially when she wants to have her husband killed so she can get all of his insurance money. Oh, and then you sold him the insurance and created the plan to kill him yourself. Didn't you see the red flags?

I say that as if I'm blaming him, but I didn't see the red flags, either. That's what makes this movie so great. And what makes Barbara Stanwyck, who played Phyllis Dietrichson, a wonderful actress. I never saw the cards up her sleeve. She played the victim so well throughout the movie that I was just as shocked as Neff (played by Fred MacMurray) was when she double crossed him. This movie is a suspenseful film noir thriller with an excellent plot and cast.  There was never a dull moment, as each scene created more and more obstacles for Neff to overcome as he tried to hide the murder and get the girl. However, lies and manipulation will always lead to a downfall, which both main characters discover at the end of the film. The moral of the story: money is not worth an inevitable downfall, no matter how well you cover up your tracks. 

Favorite scene: The final scene between Neff and Phyllis. I don't want to spoil it, so I won't post a video. What great acting!

Will I watch it again: Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment