Monday, November 9, 2015

Movie #23: Yankee Doodle Dandy. Or really, the legend of George M. Cohan

Title: Yankee Doodle Dandy
Starring: James Cagney and Joan Leslie
Directed by: Michael Curtiz
Number on the AFI List: 98
Year: 1942

Yankee Doodle Dandy is not only a wonderful film but a great theatre history lesson! I didn't know the details of George M. Cohan's life before this film, nor his contribution to the American theatre, but I did know his music. Now I know who wrote classics like The Yankee Doodle Boy and Give My Regards to Broadway. Along with his contributions to theatre, Cohan (played by James Cagney) played a major role in keeping up morale of US soldiers during WWI and WWII, primarily with his song Over There. This film is a great reminder of the importance of art and music, especially during war times. As President Roosevelt reminded Cohan at the end of the movie (*spoiler alert*), he is just as important to the American war effort as the soldiers on the field. 

Beyond the history lesson, the acting, singing, and dancing in this film were fantastic. From the vaudevillian act, The Four Cohans, at the beginning to the broadway shows (and of course James Cagney tap dancing down the stairs at the end), everything was spectacular and reminded me of my love for theatre and America. I only wish they made more movies like this today! 

Favorite moment: The finale. Especially Cagney tap dancing down the stairs and the end where he joins the soldiers singing! 


Will I Watch it again: Every 4th of July! 

No comments:

Post a Comment