Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Movie #20: The Maltese Falcon. Or really, the stuff that dreams are made of!

Title: The Maltese Falcon
Directed by: John Huston
Starring: Humphrey Bogart and Mary Astor
Number on the AFI List: 31
Year: 1941

Well, this was a fun one! From the beginning I was hooked with the mystery and high energy dialogue. Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade wears the detective hat well in this fast paced, whodunnit drama also starring Mary Astor as Brigid O'Shaughnessy. O'Shaughnessy was my favorite character of the film; her lies and manipulation had me believing her for most of the movie. I was humored by how every conversation had to have at least one person smoking a cigarette; even when Spade was beating up on Cairo in Spade's office, he had a cigarette in his mouth. I also loved the cool, collected way Spade handled every unfortunate situation he was thrown into without batting an eye. He knew he would figure out the truth among the lies and come out on top. 

I don't have much else to say about this one. I had a good time watching it and will look forward to seeing more of Bogart and his film noir films in the future! 

Favorite moment: "When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it!"

Will I watch it again: Yes! 


THIS WAS MOVIE #20! Therefore, it's time for me to again rank the movies I've seen thus far. Here goes (based on taste rather than artistic achievement):

1. City Lights
2. Modern Times
3. Sunrise
4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
5. Wizard of Oz
6. Gone with the Wind
7. Citizen Kane
8. A Night at the Opera
9. Bringing up Baby
10. The Gold Rush
11. The Maltese Falcon
12. It Happened One Night
13. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
14. The Grapes of Wrath
15. The Philadelphia Story
16. King Kong
17. The General
18. Intolerance
19. Swing Time
20. Duck Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment