Monday, October 5, 2015

Movie #18: The Philadelphia Story. Or really, it's more than a love triangle, it's a love square!


Title: The Philadelphia Story
Directed by: George Cukor
Starring: Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, and John Howard (who I definitely thought was Clark Gable)
Number on the AFI List: 44
Year: 1940

I must say, this is another movie I need to re-watch to appreciate more. I didn't find the script nearly as funny as Bringing Up Baby, which probably added to my disenchantment with the movie. However, the cast is fantastic; how can you go wrong with Grant, Hepburn, and Stewart? But unfortunately the movie didn't hook me in right away so I was rather lost the whole time. This is what I get for watching movies tired! I will say, though, I have yet to see another movie attempt not a love triangle, but a love square, with three potential suitors for one girl (poor Liz). Jimmy Stewart out shined the rest of the cast with his colorful character, Macaulay Connor. It was nice to see him break away from his dramatic everyman roles and play someone more offbeat and humorous. I also absolutely ADORED Virginia Weidler as Dinah Lord. She tied the whole movie together with her sarcasm and playful antics, however, she was the voice of truth and reason when everyone else was blind to reality. Hepburn did a beautiful job with her character arch from snobby, perfectionist rich girl to down to earth, reasonable woman. Admittedly, Grant was a little one note to me; a stark, disappointing difference from his hysterical character in Bringing Up Baby.  

Favorite moment: Every time Dinah was on screen. 

Will I watch it again: Yes. I need to give it another shot :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment