Friday, August 5, 2016

Movie #43: Ben-Hur. Or really, redemption.

Title: Ben-Hur
Starring: Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins
Directed by: William Wyler
Number on the AFI List: 100 (ugh)
Year: 1959

"And I felt his voice take the sword out of my hand." - Judah Ben-Hur

I was skeptical when I started this movie because of the length of it. 

However, now I am FLOORED. Absolutely floored. What a beautiful story of redemption and hope. Ive had a chance to study the Inter-testamental period and the Gospels over the past month through my internship at Reality LA, so it was really cool to be able to follow the historical context in a fresh light. Judah Ben-Hur, played by Charlton Heston in his Pre-Moses days (PM for short), is the prince of Judea. He is friends with a Roman tribune, Messala (Stephen Boyd), but their friendship is torn apart by Ben-Hur's loyalty to God and Messala's loyalty to the state. Messala falsely accuses Ben-Hur and his mother and sister of trying to harm him after a roof tile accidentally falls on his parade. Ben-Hur is taken as a slave, and then we follow his epic journey to seek revenge on Messala and find his mother and sister. The Lord is gracious to Ben-Hur, giving him favor with other Roman soldiers, until he becomes a hailed tribune himself. It is not until witnessing Jesus' death on the cross that Ben-Hur finally forgives Messala, in a beautiful ending that I will be thinking about for a long time.

I loved the concept of following a mans life during the same time as Jesus life on earth without focusing on Jesus, and yet Jesus saves the day. How could he not? Ben-Hurs story is every mans life, living a life of reliance upon self and strength, envy and revenge, until the Suffering Servant breaks the cycle. I love how when Ben-Hur prayed for God to give him strength, Jesus gave him water. I literally hollered when that happened. Jesus gave Ben-Hur strength to do the task set before him when giving him water, and Ben Hur returned the favor on Christs walk to Golgotha. The beauty of the ending still has me in awe. The kingdom of God came down upon Ben-Hur and his family and changed the course of their life. As the blood of Jesus fell with the rain, healing, forgiveness, and grace reordered their future to one of hope and love. By His stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5. All of the fighting Ben-Hur had to do to redeem himself was lifted off of His shoulders as the freedom of Christ fell upon his household. 

This movie was a tremendous encouragement to me in the midst of a difficult health and life battle of my own. The beauty of seeing the kingdom of God has renewed my hope. So thank you, William Wyler, for creating a truth filled movie.

Thank you, Jesus, for suffering for the sake of our forgiveness.

Favorite moment: The ending *spoilers!*


Will I watch it again: Im tempted to start over the whole 3.5 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment